The key to establishing and maintaining a successful business is setting the cash flow balance in your favour. Minimising the gap between outgoing expenses and incoming funds is critical in developing an ongoing strategy for success.
– Stuart Zalunardo, #NicestGuyInBanking –
Having a healthy cash reserve will enable a growing business to pay bills, employees and suppliers. Adopting good payment habits will also add to a positive reputation. No business or employer wants to be labelled as a ‘bad payer’.
Establishing positive cash flow will also enable you to fulfil business plans, invest in growth, innovation and promotion. It can also eliminate additional stress – allowing you to focus on what you do best.
Simple tips to improve your cash flow strategy :-
1. Offering more ways for your customers to pay can be good for business.
Whether in-store, off-site or on the go – online payments, mobile EFTPOS and PayWay* allow you to collect payment seamlessly and securely.
– Offer Mobile PayWay to accept credit and debit card payments via your smartphone or tablet anywhere, anytime
– Set up online payments. Whether you have an online business or not, you can still establish a virtual terminal to securely process payments online and over the phone
– Include a PayPal^ account on your website
– Clearly state your bank account details on your invoices
– Set up recurring direct debits or automated payment options for ongoing arrangements
2. Issue invoices promptly and follow up late payments early
3. Offer an incentive, reward or discount to customers who pay their bills promptly
4. Establish a policy of cash on order, or cash on delivery if possible
5. Conduct a credit check on all new non-cash customers
6. If your business sells products (as opposed to a service) – sell off old and outdated stock
7. Make sure you have a clear picture of how much you need to make to cover costs and turn a profit
8. Set aside funds required to honour your GST, PAYG and superannuation commitments
Last but not least, I encourage you to work with your trusted bank to gain valuable support and put in place the latest payment tools and merchant services to assist with maintaining a healthy cash flow. We’re here to help.
I wish all Ausmumpreneurs the very best luck – go forth and prosper.
* PayWay® is a registered trademark of Westpac Banking Corporation
^ The PayPal service is provided by PayPal Australia Pty Limited (ABN 93 111 195 389) which holds Australian Financial Services Licence number 304962
About our Ausmumpreneur Expert :
Dubbed as “one of the nicest guys in banking” by Ausmums – Stuart Zalunardo has been helping businesses for over 28 years with a zest for start ups and the SME business space. In June 2014, Stuart was made Head of SME Banking for St.George Banking Group (St.George, Bank of Melbourne BankSA). He’s responsible for developing a successful and dynamic SME Business Banking team – which includes over 160 bankers nationally, all focused on supporting the growth of SME’s in Australia. With a commitment to lead and help young people succeed, he undertakes various mentoring programs and is also actively involved with the Cancer Council of NSW.
Married to Katherine (who was an Ausmum in her time), with two fabulous children – Stuart’s weekends are often occupied with children’s sport. However, when time permits, he does enjoy playing golf and trying to keep fit playing soccer and walking Harry (the dog).