Depression and anxiety is something that can hit you at anytime. Many women can experience these conditions during pregnancy and years after as the juggle of #mumpreneur life sets in!
For so long the struggle with mental health has been such a taboo subject amongst working mothers and often leaves women feeling isolated, ashamed, lonely and just plain lost as to who they really are anymore!
Becoming a mother brings such a wide range of emotions so it is normal to first feel times of passing sadness, excitement, nervousness of the unknown and at times a little stress and overwhelm.
Most parents move through a period of adjustment when they first take home their beautiful bundle of joy while they build confidence and learn what their baby needs.
However, depression and high anxiety is more than this.
Let me explain;
So what is the difference between depression and anxiety?
SIGNS OF DEPRESSION:
- You feel hopeless and can’t see “the light at the end of the tunnel”
- Your thoughts are negative most of the time
- You look at yourself in a negative way… “I’m a failure”, “I can’t get anything right”, “Nobody likes me”….the list can go on!
- You find no joy in anything anymore
SIGNS OF ANXIETY:
- You feel nervous, restless or tense
- You have a sense of impending danger and/or doom
- You have trouble concentrating or thinking about anything other then your present worry.
- You have trouble sleeping
- You tend to avoid social situations as it triggers your nervousness and worry
MUM GUILT – THE CAUSE OF SO MANY MENTAL HEALTH BREAKDOWNS
When you are a mumpreneur you are often giving so much of your time and energy to work, family & daily responsibilities making it easy to neglect their own self care.
Mum Guilt is truly a “thing”. There is that constant tug of doing something for YOU and then wondering if you’re giving enough to your little babes.
I get you! I have been there in the depths of despair after my 3rd baby and felt like I wasn’t supported, I was neglecting my other children, the loneliness was immense and the shame of never feeling like anyone “got me” was strong. What I wasn’t doing was any self care whatsoever. I was still running my business, looking after my little family and recovering from a traumatic birth…..I forgot about me!
If you are suffering from any of these symptoms or feel you can’t do it on your own, that is perfectly ok and there is support groups that can help you. A really great place to start is https://www.beyondblue.org.au or even start with your local GP and work from there.
You are supported and you are worthy of feeling great again.
IMPROVING YOUR MENTAL HEALTH AND WELLBEING
As I mentioned above a great first step is to have a chat with your GP, ask for a referral for a therapy that will support you and what you are experiencing.
Reflect on the relationships in your life. Are the people in your life supportive or destructive? Connecting with those that are supportive and loving can really help with removing those feelings of isolation and loneliness.
I cannot stress enough the importance of self care as a mumpreneur. What this can look like is:
- Focusing on getting quality sleep – Yes this can be a challenge when you’re a new mum, however this leads me to my next point..
- ASK FOR HELP
- Getting outside and soaking up some Vitamin D
- Reading your favourite book
- Regular exercise
- Meditation or just sitting quietly for 5-10 minutes a day
- Fueling your body with great nutritious food that gives you a feeling of vitality
- Doing activities YOU enjoy
Is there something that you can implement into your day today?
KNOWLEDGE IS POWER WHEN IT COMES TO MENTAL HEALTH
Often the very first step to take is acknowledging the need to take action.
Acknowledging that it is OK to not always be the strong, nurturing carer for your family, friends and even your community.
When you KNOW the most effective strategies for overcoming your mental health challenges (or invest in someone that can help you with this), you CAN reclaim your power and start to truly enjoy a purpose filled, enjoyable life xx
Please always remember IT’S OK TO NOT BE OK!
It is my mission to empower women, especially mums, to embody their confidence and truly love who they are right now!
To be lost in a place of negative self talk does not have to be where you stay.
If you are suffering from depression or anxiety put your hand up, reach out for help, contact the professionals that are there to help you. YOU can reclaim your life again gorgeous. If you are looking for more guidance email me at firstname.lastname@example.org and share with me your greatest challenge right now.
YOUR MENTAL HEALTH MATTERS
In love and light